SEE WHO'S ROCKIN THE KASBAH TONIGHT!

Welcome to the Kasbah blog. Check in daily for the scoop on whose performing, what artists are showing in the gallery and special edition interviews and happenings!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Interview Take 2

    This evening I was given the opportunity to do something I love, have a conversation with an SL musician. I sat down with Harrison Digfoot after his set to have a chat. Harrison broadcasts live from his home in GA. He has only been on the SL music scene a few months and I wondered how he found himself here in SL. He told me that way back in 2008 he was watching MTV with his niece. There was a show about a girl who performed on SL and it intrigued him. He wrote down Second Life on a piece of paper and a week later came online to check it out. He managed to find an open mic and tried it out. "That was not a great experience lol" he said as he described the difficulties he faced with  poor graphics and slow connection. He did, however, catch a tribute band of Pink Floyd. I could tell he really thought that was cool, he even shared the story with his online friends! Due to the afore mentioned computer issues, he decided to shelve SL and went back to CamFrog, an online chat room where he and other musicians  perform for their online friends. In December of 2009 Harrison again signed onto SL, this time to show his nephew how much better things looked with a better connection and graphics card.
        Harrison describes his style as his own brand of Americana, influenced by  bluegrass, country and even the likes of Bob Marley.  He began playing his music on the streets of SL, performing for whoever would listen. His experiences were kind of crazy, receiving all sorts of reactions from the residents. One day he decided to just fly, he flew and flew and flew! He made up his mind that the first people he saw he was going to talk to. After quite awhile, he saw 3 dots on his map. He stopped to talk to them, it was Hennesey Sauteraeu, Arimo Teixeira and Cellandra Zon.  They were at a club, they were really nice to him and he told them he played. They let him play a song for them. Thats how Hennesey became his first manager. "To me it was kind of magical," Harrison said, also mentioning he is still good friends with Cellandra.  While Harrison was performing here, he was also making new friends. One of his favorite things to do in SL is just sit back and chill at his usual spot (sorry ladies not giving that info up lol), chatting with his friends and making new ones.
          We talked about some of his songs, Harrison writes a lot of his own songs and I was anxious to find out about his writing style and maybe even some of his inspirations. One of my favorite songs is Lil Girl in California, Harrison told me that song was written for a real life girl and that the song basically wrote itself. He also just recently wrote a song for a greifer girl in Second Life, Lianna. "Songs like that are fun" he said. He hopes to make an SL video based on that song, maybe even have the girl appear in it. "That song wrote itself in no time, while I was talking to this girl, and I started singing it to her, she was like....why did you write that lol" Harrison commented that songs that come quick like that are usually his best and he plans to sit down soon to write some more. I suggested one with "Tessa" in it, fingers crossed lol.
          It is clear that Harrison is thrilled to be performing here in SL, so I asked him about his long term goals. In his usual sweet manner he said, " I just want to play my music to as many people as I can, SL is a great platform for all kinds of things, especially music." He credits SL with making him a better musician, pushing him to reach his potential everyday. "In Second Life I can play to people all over the world! I can talk to them about my music, their music, anything really." He is so enthusiastic about SL, he has been actively recruiting other online friends to come here and try their hand in the music scene too!
         Sadly our time was coming to an end, so I asked Harrison about his thoughts on his upcoming weekly gig at Kasbah. He was about as animated as I have ever heard him as he said "I love the Kasbah!"  He is excited to be back and looks forward to working with both Loegan and Tellstar again. Harrison can be seen weekly at 8pm sl time throughout the month of June. As is my habit, I asked Harri if there was anything he wanted to share with his fans before we said goodbye. He was Pure Harrison as he said "get to as many shows as you can, get out there and enjoy, hang out, music is AWESOME!" What else is there to say, thank you Harrison, until next time, Tessa1 Beck.

1 comment:

  1. That girl on MTV, unless I'm mistaken would be...
    Keiko Takamura!

    ReplyDelete