SEE WHO'S ROCKIN THE KASBAH TONIGHT!

Welcome to the Kasbah blog. Check in daily for the scoop on whose performing, what artists are showing in the gallery and special edition interviews and happenings!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Grand Re-Opening

Tonight is the grand reopening of The Kasbah, so, I thought I would have a chat with the opening night acts. I wanted their thoughts on Kasbah, what they liked about the old Kasbah, what they hope for the new one. Let me first say that ALL the musicians  were so friendly and willing to take a few moments out of their busy schedules to talk with me. Thanks guys, you rock! I spoke with Strum Diesel first, an awesome musician who gives his all to every performance! I caught him after one of his sets, probably still out of breath and needing a cool drink! He told me his fondest memory was Christmas last year, saying, "that was Christmas for me last year in a  way". He continued with, "New Kasbah is exciting in that it's a part of Studio Genre which is also home to my store/venue Lucky and a good number of fantastic SL/RL visual artists as well." He also told me that he liked that they book quality acts and he is very happy to be a part of that roster!  He gave me a wink and a smile as he waved goodbye. Thanks Strum! I next spoke with Maximillion Kleene, one of the most popular and most loved musicians in SL.  Max has played Kasbah countless times and I knew he would have something cool to say, and he didn't disappoint! Recalling the old Kasbah Max said, " I liked that there was always a good line-up of live music for hours of listening on Saturday nites" he went on to say, "it's always a fun vibe, with hours and hours of music" I asked Max what he liked best about playing Kasbah, "what I liked best about playing there was of course the listening audience.  Always a good audience and the owners/hosts :-D, they're the best :-D" Thank you Max! Just as I was finishing up with Max I got an IM from Buckley Moonwall, an incredibly talented singer songwriter also in the Kasbah lineup. He was more than willing to give me his thoughts on Kasbah.  " i've always appreciated how hard Loegan works to put something really creative together......he's such a patron of the arts - visual, musical - i know SL is so full of innovators, but i was surprised to see geniveve up there painting while i did my set, . . . i really dug that, it shows a real respect for creativity - definitely a crowd that i feel honored to be a part of." Buckley mentioned again and again how wonderful the crowds are at Kasbah, how great the energy is there too! When asked his final thoughts Buckley said, "yeah, these are the things that i really appreciate about it - loegan really respects the arts - and i know it takes a lot of work and money to keep a venue going - with Kasbah - you can really feel the passion for what he's doing over there"  I can tell Buckley really enjoys playing Kasbah, probably as much as we all like listening to him there! Thanks Buckley!! The next fabulous musician in the opening lineup is Harper Messmer. I managed to catch him between sets as well for a brief chat. He has great memories of the old Kasbah, he told me of one in particular where there was a griefer during his set, then Raspbury Rearwin took the stage. There were objects flying all over the place but everyone endured the harassment. He said, "i remember we were there for hours as rasp played non-stop.... a tribute to his love for music......and then after all of that, there was a fireworks display,
one cool night."  I asked him what he liked best about playing at The Kasbah and if he had a wish for the future, Harper was quick to answer, " it's so easy to work with loegan and the place is always upbeat so it's a tie", and his wish for the future..... "continued success and i hope it doesn't lose it's flavor" Thanks Harper for the memory and the kind words! Towards the end of my SL evening I was able to touch base with the last performer in the lineup, Edward Kyomoon. He was between sets, you know, those shows where he rocks everyone out with fun lyrics to well known songs as well as awesome covers, anyway, he was kind enough to give me a few minutes to chat about Kasbah. When asked what he liked best Edward said, "well we always have large crowds there... i like how they support artist as well as musicians.... i like outdoor venues, with minimal clutter... kasbah is one of those:) I asked him if he had any final thoughts before we said goodbye and he did! " in a world where anyone can be a venue owner its the successful places stand above because of their persistance and commitment to SL music.  loegan knows what he's doing and does a good job  at it" Thank you Edward! My last musician was PM Bookmite, a super musician, who took time out of his RL schedule to send me a few well chosen words... "Kasbah, cool atmosphere, great musicians, great hosts, great owner, for what more could a musician ask?" It was clear to me after speaking with these wonderful artists that Kasbah holds a special place in their SL as does Loegan Magic, Kasbah's  owner. I am really looking forward to the shows tonight and the future success of the new and improved KASBAH!!! That's all for now...Tessa1 beck

No comments:

Post a Comment